Everyone is always indebted.
I started a new VPS (Ubuntu18) and ran
Room Number :
It was time I tried searching in English, but I still didn't understand what I was saying.
What is this
What role do you play?
Thanks for your professor.
Answer # 1
As it is written here.
In a situation where faculty and staff have their own laboratories and have extension telephones at universities, etc., it is a function that would have been useful in such an environment.
This is not true for many current PC users, but the functionality remains as a remnant. You can ignore it if you don't need it.
Answer # 2
Auxiliary information that is one of the finger information, office location.
Answer # 3
adduser seems to be just a room number ^^;
Answer # 4
When I searched on various pages, it seems that it has been in the old UNIX era and has a historical background.
Room Numberis literally a room number, and it seems to be information that identifies the user in a room in a university, laboratory, or company.
It seems that fields such as room numbers are also called "GECOS fields".
Perhaps at that time UNIX was expensive and used by everyone connected to the server, so I think that such a field would be useful for managing each user.Reference link
What can I do if I specify -gecos for adduser on Linux? Why is it named gecos? -I want to eat a free lunch
Why does Linux ask for a room number when creating a user? \-Quora
- linux - about changing the maximum number of inotify instances
- linux - to log in to aws/vps etc from ubuntu (desktop)
- Linux shell method to get the number and position of the string
- linux - specifying the number of times when a file to be opened by cat is specified with a wildcard
- linux - i want to eliminate ubuntu garbled characters in japan
- How to install Oracle Java 14 on Ubuntu Linux
- linux - how to get the absolute path of ubuntu usb memory
- How to modify tomcat port number in Linux
- network - what is the port number of the extended acl?
- linux - remove ubuntu from dual boot → don't boot
- ubuntu - kali linux update error
- linux - about the number of lines of uniq -c
- linux - ubuntu reboots slowly
- linux - ubuntu 1604 lts fails to restart, fsck screen? stop at
- linux - i was unable to install the package on ubuntu, but consumed space
- linux - command to count the number of files in the folder two below
- linux - i cannot install v4l2loopback on ubuntu
- linux - when installing ubuntu with live usb, you cannot operate the keyboard on the gnu grub screen
- linux - echo what is ""
- linux - awk command: how to check the number of columns
- Error when running python telegram bot on server
- linux : How to create a VSFTPD user and give it access to /VAR /WWW?
- linux : Unpack the ZSSTD archive directly to the MySQL database
- linux : Gnome-Panel Failed to Acquire Bus Name (GNOME-PANEL as adding a shortcut for your desktop)?
- linux : Unpack the zip archive without having enough free disk space
- mysql : Write error messages when restoring the database in the log file
- linux : Ubuntu 21.04 automatically disables USB 3.0 port
- linux : I want to know the command to check only the number of lines in which the sentence is written
- linux : CTRL C, Ctrl Z, Ctrl P in Atom
- Segmentation error (memory stack is reset to disk) c++